The Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that nine scientific and technical achievements have been selected for further awards consideration.
The list is made public to allow individuals and companies with similar devices or claims of “prior art” the opportunity to submit their achievements for review. The deadline to submit additional entries is Aug. 30 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
The committee has selected the following methods or devices for further consideration:
– Side Effects Software‘s Micro-Voxel Volume Rendering
– Mova‘s CONTOUR Dense Mesh Motion Capture
– Arri‘s ARRI Zeiss Master Primes Lens Family
– Vision Research‘s Phantom High-Speed Cameras for Motion Picture Production
– Pictorvision‘s Eclipse
– RealD‘s Cinema System for Theatrical Projection of Stereoscopic Content
– Reliance MediaWorks‘ “Lowry Process”
– FUJIFILM‘s Black and White Recording Film ENTERNA-RDS for Archive
– Rycote Microphone Windshields‘ Lyre Microphone Suspension
After thorough investigations are conducted on each of the entries, the committee will meet in early December to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The 2011 Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills, Feb. 11, 2012.