The Society of Camera Operators (SOC) has announced the film and television nominees for the 2022 Camera Operator of the Year Awards and Celebration, which will be held virtually at 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 5.
“We are excited to be able to expand the nominations to include collaborative efforts and teams of operators this year,” said George Billinger, SOC President & Awards Co-Chair. “For the first time ‘A’ camera operators and ‘B’ camera operator teams have the chance to be honored and nominated together for an SOC award.”
The virtual gala will celebrate the nominees and recipients of the Technical Achievement Award and the Camera Operator of the Year Awards for film and television. The show will feature screening clips and live conversations as well as showcase a unique celebration of the art and craft of camera operators over the last year.
The Society of Camera Operators full list of nominees is below:
Camera Operator of the Year – Film Nominees:
- Gilles Corbeil, SOC – Nightmare Alley
- Mitch Dubin, SOC with “B” Camera: John “Buzz” Moyer, SOC – West Side Story
- Matthew Moriarty, SOC – A Quiet Place, Part 2
- David Thompson, SOC with “B” Camera: Ian Seabrook, SOC – Finch
- Mike Heathcote, SOC – The Many Saints of Newark
Camera Operator of the Year – Television Nominees:
- Mick Froehlich, SOC with Remi Tournois, SOC – Hawkeye, S1, Episode 3, Echoes
- Timothy Muir Spencer with “B” Camera: Mike McEveety – For All Mankind, S2, Episode 10, The Grey
- Manolo Rojas, SOC with “B” Camera: Pauline Edwards, SOC – Snowfall, S4, Episode 8, Betrayal
- Reid Russell, SOC with “B” Camera: Jan Ruona, SOC – Blindspotting, S1, Episode 1, The Ordeal
- Gregor Tavenner with “B” Camera: Alan Pierce, SOC – Succession, S3, Episode 7, Too Much Birthday
The virtual Awards Celebration is free to attend and open to SOC membership as well as the community at large. In years past, the Society hosted the in-person Lifetime Achievement Awards with awards presented to Lifetime Recipients and Camera Operators of the Year while celebrating the craft and the crew for over 35 years.