Friday, April 19, 2024
Subscribe Now

Voice Of The Crew - Since 2002

Los Angeles, California

HomeIndustry SectorCommercialsEric Yealland Brings Flair for Comedy Direction to Original

Eric Yealland Brings Flair for Comedy Direction to Original

-

Eric Yealland
Eric Yealland
Director Eric Yealland has signed with Los Angeles-based Original for exclusive representation in the United States. Yealland brings experience as a comedy director in Canada and Europe including campaigns for Budweiser, IKEA, Coors Light, Ford, Toyota, eBay and Coca-Cola.

Yealland is eager to explore the U.S. market and calls Original the ideal vehicle to do so, citing the company’s growing directorial careers and its roster of talent. “I like the other directors they represent and I like the company’s energy,” he said. “Bruce Mellon, Marc Lasko and Joe Piccirillo have a passion for the business and an excellent strategy for marketing my skills. It’s a great fit.”

Yealland won a Bronze Lion at Cannes earlier this year for a web campaign for Canada’s National Advertising Awards titled “Focus Group,” produced by Draftfcb. The spot shows a marketing professional soliciting comments from a consumer focus group about a new commercial. One of the creatives from the project, lurking in the next room behind a one-way mirror, shows his contempt for the focus group’s vapid opinions by dropping his pants and rubbing his backside against the glass.

“I like dry, observational humor,” Yealland said. “I grew up with a strong British influence on my comedy, so I tend to like it dry. I want the viewer to feel like they’re in the room, watching it all unfold.”

Yealland calls himself an actor’s director, and his work tends to be economical and performance-driven. His recent spot for eBay, for example, is a single set-up gem: a postal worker phones a woman about a vibrating package that he suspects contains an adult product; it turns out to be a cellphone.

Recently, however, the director has worked on a few campaigns involving ingenious special effects. A spot for a milk producers group shows members of a dance class withering like balloons as they lose energy.

“The effects were all done in camera,” he explained. “It was all careful positioning and puppetry. We used sex dolls. We dressed them in the same wardrobe as the actors and rapidly inflated and deflated them to get the plates we needed.”

Yealland began directing music videos in his early 20s and signed his first commercial contract, with Partners, Toronto, when he was 24 years old. He went on to direct more than 100 commercials for the company over the next decade. He is currently represented in Canada by Industry Films, Toronto.

Yealland has won numerous awards for his work. His campaign for Canada’s Metro newspaper and Rethink Communications won four Lotus Awards and an Applied Arts Magazine Award for Best Campaign. He is also the recipient of an ICE Award (for a Phamachoice spot out of Extreme Group), and a Gold ADCC Award and a Silver Marketing Award (for the Playland spot “Snack Bar” out of Rethink Communications).

- Advertisment -

Popular

Beowulf and 3-D

By Henry Turner Beowulf in 3D is a unique experience, raising not just questions about future of cinema, but also posing unique problems that the...