Two-time Academy Award winner Ron Howard and Josh Hutcherson, star of The Hunger Games franchise), announced the names of 15 finalists in Canon’s Project Imagination: The Trailer contest. The contest, which drew a flood of submissions, encouraged people of all skill levels to turn their photos and video footage into movie trailers with titles, Hollywood-style voiceovers and epic soundtracks.
The public is now able to vote through June 10 on the 15 finalists at imagination.usa.canon.com. After that, Howard and Hutcherson will select one winning trailer to develop into a film. The film is set to go into production this summer and will be written and directed by Kat Candler (Hellion).
“As a veteran filmmaker, I appreciate the value of edge-of-your seat creativity in filmmaking, and that’s what Project Imagination: The Trailer is all about,” said Howard. “Josh and Kat are the perfect complements to what’s sure to be an exhilarating exploration into the inspirational value of trailers.”
“What’s most exciting about this process is that I don’t know what to expect,” said Hutcherson.
The 15 finalists are:
- JR Poli of North Lauderdale, Fla., with “Everything is Mean”
- Anna Fuller of Louisville, Ky., with “A Reader and a Writer”
- Jan Garcia of Union City, Calif., with “The Life and Times”
- Ben Alagna of Los Angeles, Calif., with “Siren”
- Ryan McDowell of Campbell, Calif., with “Borderless”
- Mina Park of Los Angeles, Calif., with “Calling Card”
- Rachel Bingham of Sandy, Utah, with “Ninja School”
- Zack Murray of Odessa, Fla., with “Spin”
- Jonathan Spencer of Charleston, Mass., with “The 18-Hour Proposal”
- Matt Sconce of Oakhurst, Calif., with “The Hunt”
- Ryan Lawson of Chicago, Ill., with “Bubbles”
- Giordan Moore of Springfield, Mass., with “The Clumsy Shoveler”
- Marc Geiger of Lancaster, Calif., with “Stuck”
- Mark Mukherjee of Tampa, Fla., with “Tainted Water”
- Nic Thorson of Sherman Oaks, Calif., with “Project Six”
“We were thrilled by the number of truly creative trailers that were submitted,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A. “And, we know that Ron, Josh and Kat will honor the power of everyday moments to inspire something really fascinating.”