Visual effects artists, Shant Jordan, Shahen Jordan and Ken Gust have teamed up to launch Synaptic VFX – a new Burbank-based, visual effects boutique. The company will provide VFX design, production, 3D stereo conversion and DI services for feature films, commercials and 3D stereo conversion productions.
The team combines numerous post and VFX skill sets; ranging from creative talent, mastery of complex CGI and compositing, to digital workflow, DI, and editorial.
Opening their own business is the logical next step for the partners who greatly value their experience working with so many of L.A.’s top VFX companies. Shant Jordan’s body of work supervising and producing visual effects spans from feature films and television series to video games, while Shahen Jordan is known for his artistry in the arena of matte painting, concept art and environmental design. Gust adds his experience in post supervision including DI workflow, stereoscopic conversion and finishing.
The facility will offer a full array of VFX production and post services including:
• Two dedicated editing bays fully equipped for audio editing and mixing, online conform, color grading, and digital delivery; working with 4K and stereo 3D material in real-time.
• Compositing services, including projection, camera tracking, and stereo 3D match moves.
• On-set supervision of VFX, motion capture, green/bluescreen.
• Pre-visualization animatics including depth plans for stereo 3D sequences.
• Shot and sequence review in the on-site 2D/3D screening room.
• 3D stereography and 2D-to-3D stereoscopic conversion for feature films and television series.
“It’s exciting to see the partners combining their individual strengths, especially in concept art and environment creation, into a united force,” said executive producer Rebecca Ramsey. “They know what it takes to execute and deliver a client’s vision and their capabilities are backed by their track record of strong aesthetics and solid delivery.”
The Burbank location was selected for its proximity to the major motion picture studios and for its direct access to high-speed digital wiring and infrastructure to support the delivery of large-scale 4K and 3D stereo files.
The studio’s environment was originally designed by the partners in CGI, so they could better envision the studio in their most “native” format. The open floor plan includes well-thought out areas such as a convertible screening room/lounge, which can be enclosed by automated black-out curtains. Synaptic also offers clients a stage for motion capture, greenscreen and insert shoots. There is even a designated music area for clients and employees to unwind in spontaneous jam sessions.