Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Subscribe Now

Voice Of The Crew - Since 2002

Los Angeles, California

HomeNewsVeteran Re-Recording Mixer Kevin O'Connell Returns to Sony Pictures

Veteran Re-Recording Mixer Kevin O’Connell Returns to Sony Pictures

-

Veteran re-recording mixer Kevin O’Connell has returned to Sony Pictures Post Production Services. A 20-time Academy Award-nominee, O’Connell was previously on staff at the studio from 1993 to 2008 with credits including Pearl Harbor, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Memoirs of a Geisha and Transformers, all of which led to Oscar nominations for sound.

O’Connell is currently working on the upcoming feature Goosebumps for director Rob Letterman.

“Kevin is a master of the craft of movie sound,” said Tom McCarthy, executive vice president, Sony Pictures Post Production Services. “He has contributed his talents to scores of great films and worked alongside many of today’s finest filmmakers.”

O’Connell has spent the past five years freelancing as well as holding a position at Todd AO, where he worked as a mixer and held an executive position.

O’Connell began his career in 1978 as a sound technician at The Samuel Goldwyn Studios working on films such as The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of The Lost Ark. He earned his first credit as re-recording mixer a few years later on Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid and garnered his first Academy Award nomination in 1983 for Terms of Endearment. He has also been nominated for 10 Cinema Audio Society awards and a BAFTA award. He won an Emmy award in 1989 for Lonesome Dove.

“It feels like coming home,” said O’Connell. “It’s one of the greatest postproduction facilities in the world and I’m thrilled to be part of it again.”

Even after mixing nearly 200 films, O’Connell’s enthusiasm for cinema sound remains undimmed. “I love to be part of the creative process,” he said. “Every movie is different, every director, every crew is different. I learn something new on each film, I meet new people and form new relationships. It’s a very exciting job.”

- Advertisment -

Popular

Beowulf and 3-D

By Henry Turner Beowulf in 3D is a unique experience, raising not just questions about future of cinema, but also posing unique problems that the...
Mulan

Mulan Review